Make sure to ask yourself the following questions to assess your own situation:
- Does the abuser change just before becoming violent (e.g. does his/her voice deepen or face change colour)?
- Does your behaviour change before violence (for example, you experience headaches)?
- What circumstances usually exist before you are abused (for instance, pay day, sporting event, alcohol etc.)?
- Has the abuser threatened to kill you, your loved ones, or him/herself?
- Is your separation pending? Or, are you serving court orders?
- Are you in a new relationship?
- Are you pregnant?
- Does the abuser have access to weapons?